Saturday 19 March 2011

Broccoli and tuna

Lunch today was a wholegrain sandwich made with a tin of tuna mixed with a couple of spoonfulls of greek yogurt. Sometimes I add a little mustard. I find mayo too sweet and sticky and I really like the clean sharp flavour of the yogurt mixed with the tuna. Its good mixed with cottage cheese too, but thats better on ryvitas or crackers as the bread goes too mushy!
I added some iceberg lettuce and some florets of broccoli for extra crunch. Im trying to make sure I have proper veggies ie not just lettuce, they are much more satisfying.
Here's some interesting facts re broccoli:
Its been around for more than 2000 years
It is known for its cancer preventing properties
It was first grown in Italy in the province of Calabria and known as Calabrese
It's a good source of Vitamin A, and vitamin C, potas
sium, folacin, iron and fiber. Broccoli has as much calcium ounce per ounce as milk and contains a few important phytochemicals: beta-carotene, indoles and isothiocyanates.
Famous quotes re broccoli "
I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.
George H. W. Bush
“Newman, you wouldn't eat broccoli if it was deep-fried in chocolate sauce.”
Jerry Seinfeld to Newman in 'The Chicken Roaster' episode of 'Seinfeld' TV series.

“Fatherhood is telling your daughter that Michael Jackson loves all his fans, but has special feelings for the ones who eat broccoli.”
Bill Cosby, ‘Fatherhood’ (1986)
Purple sprouting broccoli is awesome and Im going to try to grow some this year!


Read more:http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgehw110377.html#ixzz1H3OVW4ie



Broccoli

1 comment:

  1. oh yummy!

    Broccoli must be my favourite veggie :)

    x

    ReplyDelete