Friday 18 March 2011

food and feeling good

We all know that you 'are what you eat', this blog is just a reminder of how much moods and feelings are affected by food. In my case that means especially the 'white stuff' ie processed white bread, pasta, cakes and biscuits and the other 'white stuff' that is sugar. Sugar acts on the receptors in our brains the same way that opiates do, that is pretty scary isn't it?
For me as a long term ( now recovering!) sugar addict I have found that chocolate makes me one crazy lady, where white flour products make me sad and moody.
I am in the process of working through seven steps to recovery from my sugar addiction thanks to radiantrecovery.com. I have been down this road before, felt amazing, lost weight and knew this was how I was going to live my life. Wrong! Well hey, as any addict knows its not that easy. Along comes a set of circumstances, otherwise known as excuses, and one chocolate croissant leads to another all the way down binge alley.
Enter chaos and feeling dreadful alongside mega sugar roller coaster.
So Ive been working my way back from a dismal sort of place and I'm discovering new ways to eat and live.
For today my food has been pretty simple.
Breakfast treats - I start most days with a 'shake'. I use a whey protein powder ( 1.5 scoops), a nice handful of blueberries and some soya milk. I whizz it in the blender and its yummy. Add to that a bowl of porridge made with 2/3 cup of oats mixed with half milk/half water and I'm set till lunch time.
One of the things that makes all the difference to me is eating 'brown' things - ie wholegrain oats, flour, brown, rice and pasta. Its not just in the being 'full' and satisfied feeling, somehow those 'brown' things just keep me steady emotionally too. And the more stressed or busy I am the more those brown things help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment